Instead of a straight bulletin read though, I decided to turn a standard bulletin (recorded into my laptop with a clip on mic and with Audacity) into an audio slideshow.
Write the Bulletin
- Check the main music news websites (including NME.com, Kerrang.com and Gigwise) as well as the press releases I have received, for the top stories of the day.
- write a short 2 minute bulletin with 4-5 stories, an intro and an out
Record the Bulletin
- Using a clip on microphone and Audacity sound recorder, I recorded the bulletin into my laptop
- Edit the bulletin for any mistakes/re-recording
- Unfortunately I do not have an extensive gallery of rock stars so I have had to use images from the internet.
- I am aware that this may be in breach of copyright, so I have offered the opportunity for photographers not happy with images being used to contact me via the video hosting website Vimeo.
- I selected pictures that supplemented the story. For example the image of Pete Doherty with the policeman and Damon Albarn with the cigarette were obvious choices.
- I used movement throughout the slideshow to add to the story – for example, zooming in on the eyes of Robin Whitehead, the heiress and filmmaker found dead in a London flat. This seemed appropriate in this situation.
- I also used images to highlight the fact that the lead singer of Killswitch Engage has the same name as 80’s pop star Howard Jones. By putting the WRONG picture up initially, then correcting it, it brought some humour to the report.
Uploading the Video
- Initially I did not want to use a public video sharing site (Vimeo or Youtube) over concerns about using images and would ideally have liked to host the video on my site for assessment purposes. Unfortunately it was necessary to use one of these to embed the video into this blog due to the file size.
- I used Vimeo, and embedded the video into this post (see below)
I found creating this audio slideshow a very fulfilling experience. Unlike video, which seemingly takes hours to edit, render and upload, this was JUST as effective and much quicker to turn around.
As usual, any feedback much appreciated